Monday, September 20, 2010

Scottish Shortbread Soap

The first in what hopefully will be an entire line of Scottish/Celtic soap products... we made Scottish Shortbread Soap this weekend!

Started with my basic soap recipe... palm oil, coconut oil, and olive oil and headed to soapcalc.net to run some numbers... decided to add real butter (milk fat) to the recipe as it is a major ingredient in actual shortbread... ran the percentages through the calculator and found that milk fat adds to the conditioning quality of the finished soap so this would work!

Gathered my ingredients and started to work, making only a 20 ounce batch to start... weighed my lye, mixed it in with my water and stirred... set aside to cool down to about 100 degrees while weighing out my oils and warming them to about 100 degrees.

When everything was the right temperatures, mixed them together and stirred with my stick blender till I reached a light trace... then added vanilla absolute and a touch of cinnamon essential oil for a bit of warmth to the final scent.

Blended some more till I got a medium trace, then poured it into a round PVC pipe mold... After several hours the vanilla and cinnamon have blended nicely into a warm fresh baked smell! I think this one is gonna be a winner!

No comments:

Post a Comment