Saturday, April 10, 2010

Castile Soap

Olive oil was one of the first vegetable oils used to make soap. It is reputed to have originated in Castile Castle as early as 1567.

True Castile Soap is made from 100% olive oil and sodium hydroxide to saponify it, however many soapmakers in recent years do not like the way it lathers, so they add other oils to the olive to achieve the lather and consistency desired... it is now accepted to call a soap "Castile" as long as the percentage of olive oil is about 70-75%. Pure olive oil soap, or Castile, is extremely gentle to the skin, and is used often for baby soaps or people with very sensitive skin. Olive oil has properties that mimic the skin's natural oils and is highly moisturizing.

I made my first batch of Castile Soap yesterday, "true Castile Soap" with only olive oil and sodium hydroxide, no scent or other oils. I wanted to see what the fuss is all about.

Some folks say Castile's lather is smaller and more dense, some say it feels slimy, some say it feels smooth and creamy. I want to know for myself just what this love/hate relationship is all about, and draw my own conclusions as to the benefits and "feel" of a soap that some people swear is the best soap ever! And others say feels slimy!

I'll take my "Naked Olive" soap out of its molds tomorrow, let it dry out for a few days, then let you know my take on Castile Soap.

No comments:

Post a Comment