Thursday, April 29, 2010

You can find out "Anything" on YouTube!

When I began several years ago learning to make soap, I had access to the internet and made good use of that resource to learn the ins and outs of cold process soap making. I also read magazines and books and experimented through trial and error.

One of the most ridiculous mistakes I made with the second batch of soap I ever made was the mold I chose for that particular batch. You see, I didn't have any type of soap mold yet and the first batch I poured into a glass 9x13 baking dish, it turned out great but after I cut it into cake-like squares, the first "bar" or two were difficult to get out of the pan.

So, I tried using a loaf pan, thinking the "bars" would look more "bar-like" when I sliced them... didn't think about the fact that the loaf pan I was using just happened to be made of aluminum!!!! Aluminum reacts badly with lye!!! Ruined what could have been a perfectly good batch of soap and a perfectly good loaf pan! The lye ate right through the aluminum!

Ah, if only I'd known about YouTube back in those days! YouTube has a video for everything! I learned jewelry making and polymer clay bead making from YouTube videos. I've taken marketing classes using YouTube videos. I've learned dance steps, sewing tips, resin pouring, rubber stamp making, and more from watching YouTube videos. I've been entertained and amused, shocked and amazed by YouTube videos.

Attached is a YouTube video link that goes through and troubleshoots common cold process soapmaking mistakes and how to rectify them. For folks new to soapmaking (or any other craft or hobby) YouTube can provide a myriad of information and assistance... just be careful how you choose them!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFptnbwfatQ

No comments:

Post a Comment