Monday, May 10, 2010

Good clean fun, the old–fashioned way

The purchase of two bars of homemade soap from a couple running a booth at Stone Mountain, Georgia one weekend, began a quest to learn this craft for myself.
Always fascinated by simpler times, the olden days, and self–sufficiency, I began asking questions. I learned from the couple at Stone Mountain that they lived on a farm, rendered fat from their cows and pigs, mixed the fat with lye, added natural scents and colorants, stirred, and soap was formed.
I didn’t have cows and pigs, and even if I had, I would be most hesitant to slaughter them for their  
tallow and fat. I turned to my favorite way of researching this ancient craft, the Internet.
There was an abundance of information on the World Wide Web to feed my new obsession. I learned about vegetable oils such as olive, coconut, palm, as well as exotic oils like almond, avocado, hemp, and mango. Each of the oils provides its own unique benefits to soap and to skin. I learned the terms sodium hydroxide (lye) and potassium hydroxide (potash) and the chemical reaction they form when mixed with the oils and fats (saponification).
Essential oils were my next discovery. These are concentrated oils distilled from various plants, offering a natural way to scent soap, as well as giving it additional beneficial qualities for the skin. Orange oil, for example, is a deep cleaning oil; ginger stimulates circulation; peppermint soothes tired muscles; lavender calms and heals; and tea tree is a natural antibacterial and anti– fungal oil.
There were many artificial fragrance oils available, providing smells from baby powder to Irish Spring. Artificial colorants were also offered. These additives would make it possible to manufacture pretty soaps with pretty smells. All well and good, but I was determined to craft a product that was all natural, as close to the old timey method as my modern day equipment would allow.

After discovering, through my research, that most of the soaps and shampoos we purchase today, are not really soap at all, but detergents, harsh to body, skin, and hair, my determination increased. I wanted to make real soap, with natural ingredients, natural scents, natural coloring, soap that would be gentle and moisturizing to the skin, soap that would cleanse without stripping the skin of its own natural oils and moisture.

I bought a stainless steel pot (lye reacts badly to aluminum! Don’t ask me how I know), a ceramic bowl, and a hand–held stick blender. I used a candy thermometer to gauge temperatures. I then gathered my ingredients, olive, palm and coconut oils, lye, and water. I experimented with several ways of molding my soaps, using wooden molds, baking pans, etc., finally settling on empty Pringle’s potato chip cans, which with their cylindrical shape and cardboard construction, worked perfectly. I could peel off
the cardboard and slice my soaps into perfect rounds. Pam’s Soap Kitchen was born.

Adventures in my mad scientist laboratory have resulted in quite a number of successes and a few disasters. I destroyed a couple of aluminum pans I tried to use as soap molds; I burned my lips, more than once, hovering too closely over a newly mixed batch of lye and water (lye gives off caustic fumes before mixed with oils and it gets really hot).

Successes outnumber disasters greatly. Some of my favorites include: for my dad who works outside a lot and gets attacked by mosquitoes… I made a soap with citronella oil and lemongrass to ward off those pesky insects; my sister has extremely sensitive skin… I developed a facial soap with geranium oil in it that she uses and loves; I developed a shampoo bar using rosemary and peppermint with avocado oil that leaves hair lustrous and healthy–looking with no need for conditioner; and my lavender/oatmeal soap 
is a big hit with many of my friends… it smells great and is super moisturizing with the exfoliating quality of oatmeal.


Conjuring soap concoctions in my laboratory/ kitchen, has led to experimenting with lotions, lip balms, creams,


bath salts and more… They all include many of the same ingredients.
It’s all good clean fun.

Since these photos were taken, I have purchased a stick blender and use it to mix my soap, I have searched and researched and experimented and learned, I have begun using 3 inch PVC pipe for round molds instead of Pringle's cans, and I have begun an online business selling all natural cold process soap and some lotions, lip balms, etc. I named my Blog after the early days, "Pam's Soap Kitchen" but my cold process soap selling business is Southern Heart Soaps, Lotions and Potions. www.southernheartsoaps.com

No comments:

Post a Comment