Tuesday, May 25, 2010

My Apprentice

My dear Hugh is a wonderful man, loving, giving and kind to me... He's smart, funny, and knows how to do a lot of things. Only one thing comes to mind about him that could present any problem... when he is doing something he likes to be in charge... not a problem... usually...

I have been making soap for a lot of years and have my soaping routine down to a "science." I know what goes where and when.

Hugh has been serving as webmaster/shipping clerk/marketing person and more in this business venture at Southern Heart Soaps and he is a master whatever hat he is wearing. But up until this past weekend he was NOT allowed in the soapmaking "lab!" That's my domain... that's where I rule, where I reign as queen! I wear the crown here!

He expressed a wish to learn soapmaking from me, the master! LOL! How could I say no? His argument was valid... at this point in our venture, he has more time than I do, what if we had a deadline and needed product and I was too busy?

Well All Righty Then... but... you have to do what I say... EXACTLY... no question... no putting your own ideas in there... I am the queen here and you are the apprentice... OK? OK! Let's make soap!

We set about making two batches of beer soap... one with Guinness, a tried and true recipe, and one with Blue Moon. We decided to grate orange zest into the Blue Moon and add orange essential oil for scent... who doesn't love a Blue Moon and Orange?

He did great... followed the recipe and my directions perfectly, he understands the care needed when working with a chemical like lye so no problems there, as a matter of fact he works a bit "cleaner" than I do, so that was a plus. I was very very proud of my apprentice! Our soap is now curing nicely and looks and smells delightful.

But I am still queen! The formulations are mine, the technique is mine, the "soap lab" is mine... but he done good! Maybe a promotion to knight is warranted... or at least soapster... not soapmaster yet! Love, Love, Love that man!

No comments:

Post a Comment